Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What's an Art?

So I like to consider myself sort of an artsy type person. I've named my blog "DC Arts Girl," I explain to people who aren't musicians that I have a career in "Arts Administration," and I think I told the IRS (or some other organization to which I've had to submit an official-looking form) that I'm an "Arts Administrator." Some of these designations are to prevent confusion when I tell people that I'm the Special Projects Coordinator for the XYZ Institute of Jazz, because normally the response to that description is "Oooooooohhhhh...." Pause. "So what do you do again?" Pause.

But I've recently realized that "the arts" means different things to people, even those of us in "the arts." In searching blogs, some people say they blog about the arts, but are really just writing specifically about the stage. Or the visual arts. Or musical theater. Or the NSO. Even I just write about the musical arts, and more specifically, the instrumental musical arts involving jazz, symphonies, and chamber ensembles. That's pretty narrow. I definitely am not encompassing "The Arts" as a whole in my blog. Just "The Instrumental Musical Arts That Involve Only Strings, Winds, and/or A Rhythm Section." But that makes for a long title, so I'll just stick to the Arts.

Just a random observation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home