Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Underappreciated

While I (some times) enjoy my current position, I've been taking a few interviews here and there to remind myself of what's out there. I had a good one a couple of weeks ago for a managing director position of a local arts organization. The full-time position was to run the day-to-day operations of the organization, manage the ensemble and its weekly rehearsals, coordinate with volunteers and of course the board, and to help fundraise (which wasn't in the job description they posted, but I'll go with it). They're looking for someone with a good deal of experience. Well, well, I've got proven experience in all of those details. Sounded like a perfect match to me. Until salary was discussed.

Starting pay for all candidates was $30k.

[insert record scratch here]

Yes, you heard me. $30k. Shall I say it one more time? $30k. For an "experienced" professional running the day-to-day operations of an arts organization, and not to mention the administrative tasks of weekly rehearsals AND fundraising.

I know I'm not in the arts for the money - it's a bigger mission than that - but $30k is just insulting for the amount work to be done.

Cry with me here, please.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first real contemporary art job was as Assistant Director of the WPA. I got $100 a week and I was THRILLED! Granted, that was more than a few years ago... but if a good opportunity comes along, grab it while you can still afford to.

11:10 AM  
Blogger E in Flats said...

My fiance and I are moving to DC in late July, and I have been looking for jobs doing event planning for non-profits/art galleries/my other interests--anyway, I have been absolutely stunned at the low salaries that these organizations will offer people. $30-35k for someone with two or more years experience in a position that had actual responsibility is a huge insult. Apparently they expect people to live in holes and eat ramen every day.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home